Monday, April 19, 2010

Marathon Monday

Hello all, today is Marathon Monday! I had quite a time today keeping track of all the elite runners as well as all the bloggers out there Running Boston today. Everyone did great, and I can’t wait to start seeing the race recaps. I think the whole tradition behind the Boston Marathon is so magical, and I am anxiously awaiting the day when I can have my chance to be a part of it.

This morning I had a 4 mile tempo run on the schedule. Well 5am came, the alarm went off, I was awake, and my legs were Screaming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was SO sore from yesterday’s leg weights that I was seriously concerned with how I would walk around work today, let alone get in a run. Well I swapped my run this morning to this evening, which probably was not for the best because as the work day went on I seemed to get more sore and stiff. Getting in and out of my chair was next to impossible and I don’t even remember being this sore after my half marathon.


I refused to let sore legs ruin my plans, so after work I set out to run 4 miles, and do the tempo if I could. Well after mile 1 warm-up I felt able enough to pick up the pace so I did. I did mile 2 at perfect tempo pace, and though my legs were tired the felt the could handle it so I kept with the plan. During mile 3 I hit 2 downhills and my quads started screaming even more. Those were the most sore of all and the downhills were not my friends. I also hit a headwind at this point but was somehow able to hit pretty close to tempo pace. This however left me pretty exhausted from the extra effort and mile 4 cool-down was a tad slower than I would have like.

419

4 Miles- 36:02, avg 9:01 pace, avg HR 174
Mile 1-  9:18
Mile 2-  8:38
Mile 3-  8:40
Mile 4-  9:25

I was kind of bummed that I felt somewhat winded and thoroughly exhausted after just 2 miles at an 8:40 pace. There are plenty of other random runs where I can run 2 miles at that pace or faster and feel totally fine. I was hoping to bump my pace to about 8:30 after this weekend, but I guess not yet. Tomorrow I am planning a comfortable 4 mile run, assuming my legs are still functional, and I am really hopeful to average 9s or just below comfortably.


Tonight I tried something new for Crockpot Monday… Baked Potatoes. We had some potatoes that we wanted to eat, and with our schedule I didn’t want to be sitting at home for an hour while they baked so I decided to follow the recipe I had seen in my slow cooker cookbook. Wrap potatoes in foil, place in Crockpot, cook for 8 hours on low. Umm yeah there were great, made even better by the fact that I was off the hook with all cooking :) Now John has leftovers for dinner tomorrow and I have a clean kitchen :)

Well I am off to stretch out my legs in hopes of a nice run tomorrow, I leave you with a funny Peachie Shot.

419peach

3 comments:

  1. I don't know if it is just me, but when I do my runs after work I have less energy and they feel more tough than when I wake up at 5 am! I ran a tempo today and wanted to die the whole time, but I know if I had done it this morning I would have been fine!

    Great run in spite of the tired legs! Way to stay motivated and get it in regardless :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do prefer the morning and feel I get into easier, but I have done afternoons for so long I can handle it, and it certainly helps after a rough day. I think it's easier to do tempo and speed work in the am and easier runs in the evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could run before work!! It's starting to get super hot out here, I need to work on getting up earlier.

    ReplyDelete