Monday, March 22, 2010

Plan Updates

Happy Monday! My fun filled post will have to wait until tomorrow, because I have news today. The news is two-fold so I will go in the order of which all my revelations occured today.

There has been a bit of a struggle for me to ditch these last few stubborn pounds and get to my goal weight. I know that the last 3-5 lbs are always the hardest, so I knew I needed to really clean it up these next few weeks to get where I need to be.

I wrote up some new guidelines for me to follow the next couple of weeks in hope of hitting my goal and then some. They look a little something like this:
-60 minutes workouts 6x per week (up from 4.5-5 hours per week)
-NO junk food (chips, candy, booze, dessert, etc)
-8 servings daily of fruits and veggies (I usually hit this, but just to be sure)
-Eliminate unnecessary snacking
-Keep track of food for accountability (I am religious about this but tend to slack on the weekends)
-5 bottles of water a day minimum (thats 60 ounces and helps me from random snacking)


Doesn't seem that hard right. Well lets hope I can keep my eating pretty clean the next few weeks along with some high intensity workouts. I can't wait to see if this helps in the next 4 weeks.


So up next, I went into work today, checked out my workouts that were on my training plan for the week, and got to work planning out my speeds for tempos, intensity for intervals, and paces for my long run. I was SO pumped for an awesome week of running especially with such a good race yesterday. I could see that my speedwork has been helping tremendously and I was already calculating paces for my next race.

Well I start out on my planned 4 mile tempo and I notice some tightness in my left achilles tendon. I didn't think much of it then, I have had similar tension before, typically after a long run of 10+ miles, but I figured with a hard race yesterday it was just worn out. Well the tension got worse so I slowed down thinking it was my sub 9 minute pace, well slowing down did not help at all, and it got worse. My achilles went from tension to pain, like REALLY painful and I had to stop my run at 2.5 miles. I was disappointed that I did not get my 4 mile tempo in that I was so excited for, and I am really upset that I have somehow injured myself with what seems to be an overuse injury.


I have no idea how I have managed an overuse injury like this since my weekly mileage is no higher than it has been for the last 5 months, 20-25 miles per week. But I am bummed, but acting smart I guess.




Ice and some rolling took place as soon as I got home, everyone swears by using a golf ball or can of soup to roll out the pressure with an achilles, but it hurts to even really touch it, which according to everything I have read is not a good sign :(


Needless to say I will NOT be running this week, and I am really bummed :( You will see a lot of biking, spin classes, weights, and maybe so stair climbing, but probably not, just to be safe.

I am hoping to do my long run as planned on Saturday, but probably drop it from 10 miles down to 8, we will see how it feels, but I am hoping to run on Saturday. ANy advice on achilles pain is GREATLY appreciated as I have NO idea what is going on.

Off to drown my sorrows with some magazine reading, night...

No comments:

Post a Comment