Monday, March 29, 2010

A good mistake

Happy Monday, my test is FINISHED!!! Only 1 more to go, and then I get a make-up test to bring up my lowest grade, which will be test 2 for sure!!!!

After a full weekend I felt pretty ready to head back to work today. I had big intentions of getting in a double workout today, my 4M tempo run this morning and hopefully a spin class tonight, but it was Pouring down rain when my alarm went off this morning, and between that and my sore legs, I just stayed in bed for another hour :) No worries the only thing on the schedule for today was the 4 mile tempo, so I was more than happy when the skies cleared up and I had a perfect evening to run in.

I started my week off really well with my operation lose the stubborn lbs. I had 7 bottles of water at work today and another large one tonight. I also had 10 servings of fruits and veggies today- Wow! Here's what it looked like!

Breakfast: 1/2 Pear, 1/2 banana and 1/2 cup strawberries (all on top of 6 ounces greek yogurt w/ granola)
AM Snack: 1 cup strawberries and the 2nd 1/2 of pear and 1/2 banana
Lunch:  Spinach Salad (3 cups), Orange
PM Snack: Sliced green bell pepper, Fuji Apple
Dinner: Spaghetti Squash (I assume this is a veggie, it may not be), 1 cup broccoli
Dessert: 1cup Strawberries

That's 10!!!! I only count all the 1/2 cups and such at breakfast as 1 serving, or I guess 1 1/2, but you get the point. I thought that was pretty good for not even trying! It would be good to have 6 servings veggies to 4 fruit, but I will take what I can get.

Now onto the running portion of this program. I was excited to get in my 4 miles in the beautiful weather, and decided to wear one of my new shirts out tonight


It was great, fit perfect and sweat wicking- can't beat that, oh and the fact that it matches my shorts :)

So the intention with the tempo run is to do a 1 mile warm up, 2 miles at tempo pace and 1 mile cool-down. I had figured I had it in me to do 1 mile warm-up, 3 miles at tempo (race) pace and then a 1 mile cool down, making it 5 miles, but there was some serious wind out there today and I made some rookie mistakes.


I started out trying to do the first miles between 9:10 and 9:30 pace, but the few times I checked Garmie in mile 1 I was going so slow due to a VERY strong head wind, so I just kept pushing harder and harder. Well Mile 1 beeped under 8:45 and it was like, oops, WAAAAY too fast! SP now I knew I had to keep it up, but probably would not be that quick. As long as I was in the 8:50-9:00 range I wanted for the tempo portion I was happy. Well a mistake turned into a good thing, and my 4 mile run looked like this...



4 miles in 35:10 a fast one to date for sure.

4 miles- 35:10, avg pace 8:47, avg HR 180

Mile 1- 8:38
Mile 2- 8:49
Mile 3- 8:47
Mile 4- 8:55

I died a bit in the last mile and just walked back towards the apartment for another .25 miles instead of a 1 mile cool down, I was done for the night. John has been riding his bike out to find me during my outdoor runs and he always seems to find me at the right moment where I am exhausted and want to quit, his visit tonight was much appreciated!

I am off to celebrate the end of my test and a fast run with the new issue of Shape and a hot bath, be jealous!

No comments:

Post a Comment