Thursday, September 23, 2010

T-Minus 30 Days

That is right my friends, in exactly 30 days I will be somewhere in the middle of my marathon, Holy Shit! I am excited, anxious, nervous, and terrified all at the same time, and I think it is safe to say, all I really have been thinking about is running. Luckily I have a half marathon next weekend, and I think it is doing a good job of taking some of the focus off the big race and keeping me calm. All of the logistical details I have been putting off are now becoming priorities, yikes!

There are really only 2 weeks of real training left, and I have intentions of making those 2 really strong weeks. I am already getting a little paranoid about sick people. There have been several around the office and in class, and I have been super tired and a little stuffy which makes me nervous, because this is NOT a time when I can afford to be getting sick, so please keep your germs to yourself :)


So after Tuesday's run and leg pain, I decided to order a pair of the dorky looking recovery socks that I have seen so many runner's rave about





If the UPS man decides to be friendly, these babies will be waiting for me when I get home tonight, and I am excited to wear them post long run to see if they really do anything.


Back to Wednesday- track day. I had put in what I felt were some really fun looking track workouts for the last few weeks of training, and today brought some fun looking ladders.

1600, 1200, 800, 400, 400, 800, 1200, 1600, all with 400RI and making for a total of 7 miles.


Considering that my legs were questionable going into this run, I decided to drop 1 interval in favor of a longer an stronger warm-up to see how my leg felt before I took off doing something crazy. Despite my hatred for 800s, I actually dropped the last 1200, so the final workout looked like this:

1 Mile warm-up, 1600, 1200, 800, 400, 400, 800, 1600, w/ 400RI


1 Mile warm-up - 9:42, decent pace for a warm-up mile and my leg felt fine, so I decided to go for it

6 Miles of intervals- 49:02, 8:11 pace (Damn that looks fast, I'm not sure I have ever run that fast, but it sure does make my current 10k PR look like a joke, I might need to sign up for another race)

1600-  7:53
1200-  5:46   (7:45 pace)
800-    3:45   (7:30 pace)
400-    1:50   (7:18 pace)
400-    1:48   (7:14 pace)
800-    3:45   (7:30 pace)
1600-  7:50  


I was so happy after this run, like positively glowing. My goal was to hit the 2nd repeat equal to or faster than the first, and while I was tired, I just felt so focused, it was miraculous.

No leg pain whatsoever, it feels a little tight today, but nothing bad. I will actually be doing my run today after class tonight, and I am super excited for the rest of my week that I have planned, lots of fun stuff, including some really fun runs in my not so normal places- I'm excited!

1 comment:

  1. i hope your recovery socks come today! and yay for the marathon being so close. i know what you mean about the "holy @$#@" feeling hahah.

    very excellent track workout. it sounds WAY hard. i love your focus :)

    ReplyDelete