Thursday, February 24, 2011

Speed Work

So back on the running front, I have been trying some new things this week. My next (and last) race for a while is a 15k, my first ever 15k, but I have something to prove after a lackluster start to this race season.

This week has been 100% focus on speedwork, and every single run so far this week has been a killer. For whatever reason I have not been able to drag my butt out of bed early enough to run in the morning, and with spring in full bloom, it has made for some interesting runs this week.


Monday: schedule 5M tempo (3 @8:40), after work
5 Miles- 44:41, 8:56 average pace
9:26, 8:34, 8:41, 8:37, 9:21

This tempo was a beast. I haven't done a good tempo run in weeks and it showed. On top of the fact that I was running in temperatures a good 20-30* warmer than what my body is used to, I was gasping for air by the end.


Tuesday: Schedule for 1M warm-up, 10x1:00 @7:30, 10x1:00 @9:00, 1M cool-down
1M warm up- 9:26
10x1:00 @7:30- 8x1:00 @7:30, 1x1:00 @7:24, 1x1:00 @7:19
10x1:00 @8:55-9:13
1M Cool down- 9:19

This made for a total of 4.5 miles, and it was not as tough as I was expecting. The middle minutes of sprinting were harder than the last few where I picked it up. I did this run on the treadmill mostly for the ease of tracking everything since it was so involved with specific paces and minutes. I knew I would have botched somthing if I tried to do this outside.

Wednesday: Track day. On the schedule 12x400, goal time = 1:48 (7:15pace)
1:00 recovery after each 400, 2:00 after every 4th

Let me start by saying I was dreading the track, not quite sure why, but I even called my mom on the way and tried to bribe her to go to the mall with me instead of to the track, but in the end I was glad I went.

1M Warm-up 9:38
12x400- I am going to break this into groups of 3 since we got a 2:00 break after each 4th lap

1st 4- 1:45, 1:41, 1:44, 1:43
2nd 4- 1:41, 1:41, 1:45, 1:45
3rd 4- 1:48, 1:42, 1:47, 1:39

Usually we run with 3 groups and I run with the middle group, but considering our middle group was really only 3 people he said only 2 groups and gave the 3 of us the choice to run with either the faster group or the slower group. A girl who is my exact speed and we usually split who beats who at the track each week opted to run with the fater group, I decided to lead the slower group- I beat all of her times by at least 2 seconds even though she ran with the fast group.

I decided I would perform best trying to lead the slower group, I should finish first every time and that was the push I needed to make sure I maintained my paces. I never started to feel tired until the last 4, but I managed to stay below my goal time, and hold sub7:00 pace for most of the intervals- I was very pleased with the outcome of this workout, and I think my coach would agree.


I have 1 more run this week (3-4 miles easy) and then my long run (10M) which has 7 miles at goal pace to see how I am shaping up for Gate. Hopefully all this speedy running pays off, it has been a little different and very exhausting for me this week, but hopefully it pays off in the end.

Do you like running fast, or nice and easy? I go through spurts where I appreciate each, but I think my ADD brain is enjoying the break-up of all these speedy runs!

5 comments:

  1. Great job on the speed front! I love running fast (it doesn't happen often and I usually dread it until it's over) but it feels so good when you're done. And it helps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love love LOVE all the speedy stuff. speed work is my bread and butter. it just makes me feel great <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love speed work!! Great workout!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWESOME WORKOUTS SPEEDY GIRL!!! You are going to rock your 15 k!!! I have never done one off those. I like speedwork but I would much rather do a long endurance run!! Have an amazing weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great workouts!!! Speed is really challenging me lately--but that's the point, eh?! So glad you introduced yourself! You are going to nail your 15k with preparation like that.

    ReplyDelete